Using the Bible stories as lessons:
Queen Esther: A strong and faithful young Jewish woman was taken from her home. She was part of a group of young women that were to be groomed for a chance to be the next queen. King Xerxes chose Esther. An evil man named Haman hated the Jews and was trying to have them all killed. Queen Esther heard of this and was used by God to save her people.
Tell your children that even when they are young God can use them to do great things.
- For birthday, have party, but bring donations for a charity as presents
- Instead of a party do volunteer work at a food pantry
- Serve a meal at a homeless shelter
- Girls can donate hair to make a wig for a child that has lost their hair
- Visit a children’s hospital and read to the patients
6 Let’s praise the Lord!
He protected us from enemies
who were like wild animals,
7 and we escaped like birds
from a hunter’s torn net.
8 The Lord made heaven and earth,
and he is the one who sends us help.1
God is always with us even in the face of our enemy.
Tell your children that even when they are young God hears their cry.
- If there is someone bullying them they can pray for God to give them strength to stand tall
- When something bad is happening in the community, like tragedy a in a school. Help your child work through their fear, teach them to pray asking God for strength
- Bad things happen, but lessons can be learned. When our children were young a boy at their school hung himself. We talked with the girls about how tragic this was, but also that no matter how big their problem was that they could always talk to us and that God was with them
13 If you are having trouble, you should pray.
And if you are feeling good, you should sing praises
14 If you are sick, ask the church leaders to come
and pray for you. Ask them to put olive oil on you
in the name of the Lord. 15 If you have faith
when you pray for sick people, they will get well.
The Lord will heal them, and if they have sinned,
he will forgive them. 16 If you have sinned, you should
tell each other what you have done. Then you can
pray for one another and be healed. The prayer of an innocent
person is powerful, and it can help a lot. 17 Elijah
was just as human as we are, and for three and
a half years his prayers kept the rain from falling
18 But when he did pray for rain, it fell from
the skies and made the crops grow.2
Pray with your children and have them pray for others
- When someone you know is sick or injured teach your child to ask God for healing, or the acceptance that sometimes death is the healing
- When something fun or good is happening, teach your child to thank God for the good He has brought into their lives
- If there is a need in your family, such as a financial problem, teach them to pray asking how they can help
- Not to ask for a new toy
- To ask to eat at home more
- To go out and pick up bottles and cans and turn them in for the deposit and give it to you
Developing a strong faith and trust in God is important for you and your child. When you give them the example of praying in front of them asking God for help you are giving them a very valuable gift. You are showing them that you are human and have struggles too. This will teach them that you are not perfect and still have a lot to learn from God. Teach them from a very young age to say simple prayers before a meal and before bed. As they grow older and understand more you can pray with them and teach them to pray for their struggles and joys.
1 The Holy Bible: The Contemporary English Version. (1995). (Ps 124:6–8). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
2 The Holy Bible: The Contemporary English Version. (1995). (Jas 5:13–18). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.