Follow what is good.
Dear friend, don’t let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God’s children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God. 3 John 11
Finding good examples is not always easy. There are temptations all around us.
- Money – to buy things we don’t need
- electronic toys
- expensive cars
- homes bigger than we need
- fatty foods
- larger servings
The above can be good or bad depending how many we buy, how much we buy, and what the content of the entertainment is. Teaching children how to follow what is good is important. Teaching by example is the best.
- Money – to buy things
- electronics are fine as long as we don’t buy beyond our means
- cars are necessary, but we don’t need to buy something just for status
- we also need homes to live in, something that is modest and fits our needs
- sweets are good, but in moderation
- choose foods that are lower in fat and higher in nutrition
- restaurants frequently give servings that are way to big, make it a practice to take half home
- make sure content of movies, books, and concerts are age appropriate.
- try to find entertainment that will teach the message of the Bible
Follow what is good for your children as well as for yourself. Remember when you follow what is good you are leading by example. Parents are the best teacher there is. We all want what is best for our children. We can find help in reading the Bible, going to church and having our family involved in helping those around us.
Those who follow the wrong path will not know God. Let’s work together to help raise children that Follow What is Good! What ideas or questions do you have?
Tyndale House Publishers. (2013). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3 Jn 11). Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.